Subject: RE: [provision] Use Case Primer

Karl

The sentiment is logical with one modification.  We chose vID so as not to tie the semantics directly to user (or user related) provisioning.  Interestingly, all use cases submitted so far are user related.  If we choose to step-up to this notion, then we *could* qualify some of the system elements as follows.

1) Provisioning Service User (PSU) - A PSU is a uniquely identifiable system element from which multiple sets of provisioned data (often accounts) are related.  A example of a PSU would be "Darran J Rolls" an enterprise user at Waveset Technologies.  A specific Requesting Authority then requests accounts for this user on specific Provisioning Service Targets (PST's).

2) Provisioning Service User Identifiers (PSUID's) - A PSTID is the system wide global namespace identifier for a Provisioning Service User.  A PSP maintains a unique namespace for each PSU.  This has thus far been referred to as a Virtual Identifier.

3) Provisioning Service Target Data (PSTD) - PSTD refers to the physical data created, modified or deleted on a PST as a result of a provisioning activity.  In most cases PSTD is the attributes and data that makes up an account.

4) Provisioning Service Target Data Identifier (PSTDID) - A PSTDID is the unique identifier for a PSTD element.  PSTDID's are assumed unique within a given PST.

Let's solicit opinion on these and if logical/acceptable add to the general and use case glossaries.

Darran Rolls                      http://www.waveset.com
Waveset Technologies Inc          drolls@waveset.com
(512) 657 8360                    PGP  0x8AC67C6F

From: Karl Gottschalk [mailto:karlgott@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 1:47 PM
To: Darran Rolls
Cc: provision@lists.oasis-open.org

Darran, thanks for writing this introduction; it was helpful to me.

A suggestion:  in the document you have identify the following system
elements: requesting authority, provisioning service point, provisioning
service target.
Should we include "provisioning service user" as a system element and talk
about PSUIDs rather than vIDs?  As I understand it, a vID represents a
"user" so a user should be a system element, and this makes it more
straightforward, it seems to me.

By the same reasoning, perhaps we should have as a system element a
"provisioning service target resource" -- the element that gets allocated
to a user as a result of an allocation request from the PSP to a PST.
Instead of resource, this could be called an "account" or "service".  But
if it were called a PSTR, then its ID would be PSTRID, rather than vID.

Or maybe we drop the PS in both cases and just call the above UIDs and
TRIDs.

Karl Gottschalk
tie 441-9611
ext. 919-543-9611

                      Darran Rolls
                      <Darran.Rolls@wav        To:       provision@lists.oasis-open.org
                      eset.com>                cc:
                                               Subject:  [provision] Use Case Primer
                      03/24/2002 10:39
                      PM

Folks

As discussed on last Mondays con-call on use cases, I have pulled together
a brief introduction to vID's and PSTID's.  I submit the following draft
for your consideration before the Use Case call Monday 3/25/2002.

A brief description of the diagrammatic notation is required.  I was unable
to find a suitable Visio stencil for Martin/Chen style crows feet so I have
used an arrow to implement cardinality.

Darran Rolls
MSIM  drolls_waveset@hotmail.com
AIM    drollswaveset
YIM    drolls_waveset
http://www.waveset.com/
drolls@waveset.com

#### draft-rolls-UseCasePrimer.doc has been removed from this note on April
04 2002 by Karl Gottschalk