Subject: RE: [provision] SPML: Update CompanyName, Update UserName

Title: Message

This is an interesting use case.  We need to investigate more but I think that the established PSU-ID concept is there to allow for exactly the situation you describe.  The PSU-ID is pretty much an opaque handle used by the RA and the PSP to “collect together” a set of PSTD in order to make the kinds of down-stream attribute changes you describe.  Right now we don’t have a single use case that does a synchronization quite as you describe.  Use case 8 “RA-PSP – Modify PSTD” would have to be exercised by the RA for each of the PSTD’s it had made ADD requests for.

Down the line I cold see a useful V2 operation that did this type of attribute synch operation (it’s the kind of thing Waveset does in our products today…)

Darran,

Darran Rolls                      http://www.waveset.com

Waveset Technologies Inc          drolls@waveset.com

(512) 657 8360

From: DeSouza, Edwin [mailto:edesouza@jamcracker.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 7:07 PM
To: provision@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi,

A Company may change its name:

-- AndersenConsulting became Accenture

-- Exxon became ExxonMobil

-- LoudCloud became OpsWare

A User may change names:

-- Mary Smith becomes Mary Jones  (frequent at marriage or divorce)

In the General Case (see Charles Schwab) it is a total nightmare to propogate these changes.  One terrible solution is to "deprovision and then reprovision" at each ASP.

At Jamcracker, we do use CompanyName+UserName+Password for login (we need all 3, because we are Multi-Tenant).  However, internally we rely on each Company and User having a UniqueNumericID.  So, we can go ahead and change the CompanyName and UserName.  The problem is propogating these changes into the ecosystem.

It would be very useful for SPML to standardize how this would work  (ASPs are willing to do this -- if it is a general solution).

regards,

Edwin.