Subject: RE: [provision] SPML: Assumptions about Directories and RDBMS

Title: Message

I’ve added a more generic version of this requirement to the requirements doc (see requirement 3.1.3 in [1])

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/provision/docs/draft-rolls-requirements-01.doc

Thanks

Darran Rolls                      http://www.waveset.com

Waveset Technologies Inc          drolls@waveset.com

(512) 657 8360

From: DeSouza, Edwin [mailto:edesouza@jamcracker.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 6:40 PM
To: provision@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi,

Within a Corporate setting, Provisioning is primarily viewed as a security/administrative function.

However, at Jamcracker (and any other such Provider), Provisioning is fundamentally about Billing.  Yes, Provisioning enables us to centrally control access, update user profiles, etc.  But, it really is about Billing.  All Provisioning activities result in Billing.  This is a very key difference between how a Corporate IT vs a Provider looks at Provisioning.

At Jamcracker, we have made a business decision that all Billing activities *must* happen in the database.  Any thing that could be disputed by the customer, anything that the customer will want Reports on, etc.  This includes AddUser, DeleteUser, etc.  Who did it, when, etc.  Only after the database is updated, do we go and update the Directory.  The Directory is secondary.

So, we would recommend that SPML remain neutral on the data store.  (See how SAML and XACML remain neutral)

regards,

Edwin.