Subject: RE: [provision] Simple example scenario

Jeff,
I just received your implementation of the scenario in the current approach
and I have to admit that it looks like you've done a very comprehensive
job.  I'd like to spend some time with it over the next couple of days and
perhaps it might be useful if we both summarised our perspectives on the
comparitive advantages and shortcomings of each based on the exercise.  I
think this would benefit committee members who don't have the time to wade
through a lot of XML, and would help to highlight the important points of
our recent discussions with these concrete examples at our fingertips.
Since you feel so strongly about the need for filtered searches, I'll post
an updated set of examples with a filtered search to redress the balance
and provide a better point of comparison.

To address your confusion about suspending accounts, I think the problem
comes down to misunderstandings about the schema.  It appears to me that
you have misinterpreted my proposed schema and arrived at the conclusion
that all "subscriptions" are accounts and that the model only supports
entities that can be suspended/locked/terminated etc.  I was not dismissing
the value of being able to express these notions at all, I was trying to
make light of your continued misinterpretation.  Personally, I feel the
idea of state and lifecycle are very important in a provisioning model.
You obviously feel differently but regardless, there is nothing in the
schema that requires that these features be used.  Perhaps the problem is
the name subscription although I have to admit that it's hard to find a
term that is not overloaded with even more meaning so I think I'll stick
with it for now.

On the general concerns expressed in your previous message, I want to point
out that I appreciate what I'm asking the committee to consider but that
makes this exercise no less valuable in my opinion.  It's encouraging to me
that the attendance at the committee meetings seems to have grown and
includes more interested parties than even a few months ago.  This is not
at all surprising because of the increased profile of provisioning of late,
and the entry of large interests such as IBM into the market.  Beyond that,
there is a real need for a solid provisioning service definition as we're
all too aware.  The discussion we've been having is the start of what, I
imagine, will be a continued wave of questions regarding approach and
current technology trends as the spec undergoes more scrutiny.  You and
OpenNetworks have obviously, as you have frequently pointed out, committed
to DSMLv2.  There are others, Tivoli among them, who have immediate
problems that cannot be addressed by this kind of solution without, as I
frequently point out, jumping through a lot of uncomfortable hoops.  As we
near the end of this exercise, and since you bring it up, I should say that
I feel that the responsibility of the PSTC is not to Burton or any single
member of the committee but to the community of consumers the PSTC's
product.  If the community is not served then any number of analyst events
won't matter.
Gerry

|         |           "Jeff Bohren"    |
|         |           <jbohren@opennetw|
|         |           ork.com>         |
|         |           03/10/2003 06:52 |
  |       To:       Gearard Woods/Irvine/IBM@IBMUS                                                                               |
  |       cc:       <provision@lists.oasis-open.org>                                                                             |
  |       Subject:  RE: [provision] Simple example scenario                                                                      |

Gerry,

I am not talking about returning 30 million records in a search response.
That would be a search WITHOUT a filter. Which is, of course, what I am
trying to avoid. The scalability I am referring to is the ability to look
for a set of records, in a large record set, that match a specific
criteria. This has nothing to do with directories and has everything to do
with provisioning (and is one of our agreed to use cases). Unless you think
that provisioning only means a client pushing data to a server, then this
is a provisioning issue.

Handling large data sets is an entirely different issues. The current SPML
specification does not address this issue, and neither does your proposal.

I would like nothing more than to stop talking about searches. Just
supplement the Tiny Telecom example you posted with sample of a scalable
search mechanism. For this example just assume scalable means to find some
small number of accounts that satisfy a search criteria. You can make it as
"Provisioning centric" as you like. Work it in any way you like, just show
me how it is done.

Note that all the previous paragraphs discuss provisioning.

Now I am confused about suspending accounts. You created the
ProvisioningSubscriptionState element in you proposed schema to represent
the state of accounts. First you say that explicitly representing such
things in your protocol is one of the features that makes if more
"Provisioning Centric", and now you seem to be saying that it was just an
unimportant example. Which is it? Is explicity representing account state
part of your proposed protocol or not? If it is part of your protocol, then
tell me how you handle things that can not be suspended (or locked, or
terminated). This is part of the provisioning discussion you want to have.

I do understand your concerns and I agree with many of them. But simply
put, you have yet to convinced me that the current approach is unworkable,
insufficient, or will not be adopted by the industry at large. You are
asking me to do several things: first flush the last 6 months of work the
committee has done, give up on the Burton interop, give up a solution that
I have seen work in practice, and implement your proposed solution in the
OpenNetwork Technologies provisioning web service (note that this
implementation will require some sort of search capability). If you think
raising these issues means I am ignoring yours, you are wrong. I will
continue to raise these issues as they are important to the decision at
hand.

Jeff Bohren
OpenNetwork Technologies