Subject: RE: [provision] Discussion and analysis of SPML 2.0 submission from IBM

Jeff,
We've had all these arguments before and we could go back and forth for
days on this.  The bottom line is that I feel the SPML 1.0 was railroaded
through for marketing purposes to make Catalyst.  The official argument at
the time against a Web Services approach was that the committee would lose
both credibility and an investment in work already done.  You argued
vigorously, almost violently, against what we were trying to propose
because, you said, directories are proven and our approach wasn't.  Now
here we are again, there is too much investment in the current path and
directories are proven.

I'll re-iterate my previous high-level arguments for the record:
- The SPML should interoperate seamlessly with Web Services
- The SPML should itself take advantage of, and be implemented using,
accepted Web Services standards
- The SPML should offer a Provisioniong model, not a directory model.  This
point is very relevant at this juncture because had the SPML 1.0 offered a
provisioning foundation we would now be discussing what a richer
provisioning model would look like rather than how we might cram XML Schema
and XML data into a directory protocol.

These things seem self-evident, just as the creation and refinement of
another directory protocol seems redundant.  Your roundup of
attribute/value protocols and products makes it clear that there are plenty
already but fails to mention that SPML is, in fact, crippled as compared to
the directory protocol is is based on, DSMLv2.  Your recent e-mail on the
search limitations indicate that you fully understand this.  The roundup
also fails to acknowledge that directory vendors are putting a lot of
thought into how to get around the very problems we are discussing,
initiatives such as XED illustrate this.  But here is a protocol hot off
the press that has all of the traditional directory limitations and more
built right in from the start.  You'll forgive me if I don't consider the
SPML1.0 to be an appropriate foundation for the future of provisioning
interfaces.  It's a good reflection of the past though, I'll give you that.
Gerry

|         |           "Jeff Bohren"    |
|         |           <jbohren@opennetw|
|         |           ork.com>         |
|         |           12/02/2003 05:53 |
  |       To:       Gearard Woods/Irvine/IBM@IBMUS                                                                               |
  |       cc:       <provision@lists.oasis-open.org>                                                                             |
  |       Subject:  RE: [provision] Discussion and analysis of SPML 2.0 submission from IBM                                      |

Gerry,

I agree that we should be willing to consider all options for SPML 2.0. I
would be willing to consider just about anything including a total rewrite
if that is what is required to meet the requirements for 2.0. But I am not
going to support a total rewrite if the requirements can be met with an
approach that is backwards comatible with the current spec. Of course we
have not finalized the requirements so that decision can not be made yet.

At highest level the SPML 1.0 spec is based around the concept that the
provisioning data is represented as a collection of attribute/values rather
than arbitrary XML. This is the approach taken by SAML as well as SPML. It
is also the approach taken by many of the currently provisioning products
in the market place. Many workflow, EAI, and BPA products use this approach
as well. And of course it is also how all directory, meta-directory, and
virtual-directory products work. Given that, I don't think it is reasonable
to characterize that approach as "crippled" or "worthless".

My suggested compromise for SPML 2.0 is that the provisioning data be
represented as a collection of attribute/values plus arbitrary XML where
appropriate. Under this approach provisioning target developers are free to
use as much as needed from either model. People who already have
provisioning targets (as we do) don't have to be impacted. This approach is
not perfect, as compromises seldom are.

I have a hard time believing that not being able to represent provision
schema solely through XSD means that the spec has to be rewritten. It seems
that there should be a compromise somewhere in between. If not the one I am
suggesting, then perhaps another one.

Jeff Bohren
OpenNetwork Technologies