public-sector-cloud-discuss message

Subject: FW: Public Cloud Requirement

Please see the note from John Wailing below.  Does anyone have any views or
experience of the requirement that he has set out?  Is it something we could
include within the scope of the new TC?  I'm not suggesting that the TC
would come up with the technical answer to this problem but more that it's
yet another requirement to add to the list that we are looking to produce.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Wailing John (OCIO) [mailto:John.Wailing3@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk]
Sent: 23 August 2012 13:35
To: Dee Schur
Cc: 'Jane Harnad'; 'Pim van der Eijk'; Ian Osborne; McDonagh Denise; John
Borras; Hartley Dominic
Subject: RE: Invitation to speak at International Cloud Symposium

Thanks for the thought. I also find that it will be impossible to attend.
However, having spoken to John B, I increasingly see a need for someone
(you) to get a grip on 'Cloud' standards/models.

We seek the convenience, agility and economy of commoditising the
development and hosting of our big (line of business, transactional,
inherently reliable) systems. The trick seems to be to create the
application to run in some abstracted hosting environment (a container of
some description?) so that it can be hosted anywhere (probably in at least
two places running active-active with load sharing). At the moment testing
typically requires the developer to have at least one environment and the
hosting service to have a least 2, pre-prod and prod. Some functional
testing will always be needed but much of our testing is centred on how the
application will perform in the production environment. Need to get away
from this in times to come! I have glossed over rather a lot but you will
get the drift!

Regards
John
T: +44 (0) 20 7035 6683         M: +44 (0)780 3510072 Lorraine Tuitt can fix
slots in my diary: 020 7035 3490 mailto:lorraine.tuitt@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Office of the Chief Information Officer, Financial and Corporate Services
Group, Home Office, 4th Floor SW Seacole Building, 2 Marsham Street SW1P 4DF