public-sector-cloud-discuss message

Subject: Re: [public-sector-cloud-discuss] FW: Public Cloud Requirement

Hi Johns

There's a couple of points to answer this. First and simplest yes there
are vendors who do exactly that, they encapsulate your app into a virtual
container so that you can migrate it to X Cloud provider. I can make some
intros if you like.

There are standards and common technologies relevant to this abstraction
process, in particular JClouds: http://www.jclouds.org/. This is used by
the Cloud Service Brokers to facilitate portability across the marketplace
providers for example.

With regards to achieving active-active app replication across multiple
data centres as a result of this process, that's a bit trickier but again
there are emerging vendors catering for this.

We actually just published a paper on this specific topic, focusing on the
Canadian imperative to address the downtime risks of their legacy estate
that their Auditor General recently identified, see "Always On Digital
Government":

http://cloudbestpractices.net/2012/08/13/always-on-paper/

Kind regards, Neil.