regrep-ex-scheme message

Subject: Common UML View of External and Internal Classifications

External Scheme and Query teams,

I had a long chat with Nikola Stojanovic this morning about better ways to
represent both internal and external classification schemes so that
Classification instances and any queries involving classifications would
minimize the differences between referencing them.

Attached is a 3-page PDF document with my view of what we discussed. It
assumes a URN identifier for each RegistryEntry so it isn't necessary to
create a new schemeURN attribute for ClassificationScheme and so that it
isn't necessary to overload the name attribute of Classification to
reference a schemeURN. It also assumes XPATH syntax for querying a "path",
but retains the notion that a path is really a collection of level/value
pairs and that the "path" attribute is a shortcut to represent those pairs.

I propose a revision of FilterQuery synatx (i.e. the
HasClassificationBranch element) to accommodate this joint view and give
several examples of its use.

Comments welcome.

-- Len

Len Gallagher                             LGallagher@nist.gov
NIST                                      Work: 301-975-3251
Bldg 820  Room 562                        Home: 301-424-1928
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970 USA           Fax: 301-948-6213

ExtClassifications3.pdf