Subject: Re: ExternalIdentifier overlap with external classifications

Message text written by Martin Bryan

> The values for
> Role could then be drawn from a published Enumeration domain (e.g. DUNS,
> EIN, UUID, SSN, etc) which will likely be registered as a "dynamic
> compatible" classification scheme in some ebXML Registry.

The idea of having Role defined in a single list in a single Registy
worries
me. Different people will want to control different types of roles. Some
enumeration domains will be used in multilple roles (e.g. EAN, which mixes
numbers identifying products with those representing organizations). Some
uses of specific Enumeration domains will be limited (SSN is an example
which has different roles in different contexts, with some of these
contexts
being limited).

Martin,

I agree - we should be careful here of hard wiring and excessive
complexity.

So long as it is nothing more than another data point node and
potential query path there should be no un-wanted side effects.

Clearly as you point out Role has to be used with Context by application
components to determine behaviour.   The Registry cannot be
pre-determining this.

Thanks, DW.