Subject: [regrep] Membership requirement for RegistryPackage

Kathryn and all Registry members,

NIST is preparing some test cases for Registry implementations, and we've
come upon the following unexpected requirement:

In RIM Section 6, the UML diagram in Figure 1 requires that every
RegistryPackage have 1 or more members.

The subsequent RIM Sections 6.9 and 7.8 discuss packages further, but these
sections do not say anything to confirm or deny the requirement that every
package instance have at least one member.

RIM Section 9.9.2.1 clarifies that package membership is represented by
Association instances with associationType equal to "HasMember". But there
is no further discussion to confirm or deny the requirement that every
package instance have at least one member.

The XML Schema referenced by Registry Services, is also silent on whether
or not a RegistryPackage instance is required to have at least one member.

We think there is a strong possibility that the requirement of Figure 1 is
NOT intended. We need for the Registry techncial committee to confirm that
every package should have at least one member, or state that there is an
error in Figure 1 of the RIM specification.

We need an answer because it would be very difficult to write the tests to
cover both situations. The tests will look quite different depending on
whether or not empty packages are possible.

If we assume that the at least one member requirement is intended, then
we'll need tests to make sure that a RegistryPackage instance cannot be
created without simultaneous creation of at least one HasMember Association
instance. And we'll need tests to make sure that an error is raised if a
user attempts to delete the last member of a package. Alternatively, if
empty packages are legal, then it would be possible to create an empty
package first and later populate it with members.

-- Len