Subject: Re: [regrep] Minutes from our May 2nd telecon

Some comments on the topic of "best practices", as was discussed during
this TC's last meeting:

I think that the regrep team should openly support a "best practice" or
"whitepaper" publishing process.  For example, the BP that I submitted
was spawned by  our experience as an implementor of the regrep
specifications and the issue addressed was something that we identified
as missing from the messaging specification.

I also think that a formal process should be adopted, something like the
following:

1. Best practice is submitted by any OASIS member.
2. It is evaluated by the team and marked as one of the following:
	- Disapproved, with good reasons given.
	- Approved as basis for a normative feature of spec version X.
	- Out of scope as a feature, but "blessed" as an official best
practice.

It is very important that a framework be put into place here, as it will
help speed adoption of this technology.  By putting the contentious
issues into best practices, it is possible to deal with things that need
to be dealt with from an implementors standpoint, without compromising
the quality or focus of the core specification.

If this is ignored, those of us that want this will simply continue to
develop this stuff outside of the TC, and create more confusion in the
market.  None of us really want that.

Regards,

Matthew MacKenzie
XML Global