Subject: [regrep] Core Components and version 3

Hey gang,

Following on the discussion of the last ebXML Reg/Rep telecon I thought more about the discussion that took place with regard to incorporating ebXML Core Components into the specs.  If you remember, Joe and I expressed our feelings that Core Components were an important part of government implementations of an XML registry. Farrukh also expressed that the specification is currently flexible enough to accommodate registering almost any object, even if the specifications do not directly call out how Core Components would be rolled into an ebXML registry.

I'd like to recommend that the ebXML Reg/Rep team seriously consider explicitly calling out Core Component support in version 3 of the specs.  My reasoning is two fold:

1) As previously noted, the need to register components among the government users I'm familiar with is a key part of their XML strategy.  Registering the components and their aggregates is seen as a tool for heading off incompatible constructs by developers.  Harmonizing XML practices down to the element level are very important to EPA and the Navy who are blazing an XML trail for the Federal government.  Both these groups are ready now for a registry solution that can meet this need, and I do not think they will be comfortable unless Core Components support is normalized within the spec.

2) I have discussed this Mark Crawford of the Core Components Technical Specification (CCTS). He relayed strong concerns that the CCTS members had some time ago been promised that the ebXML Registry specification would include Core Components in version 3 and that the participants of CCTS would likely look disfavorably on version 3 otherwise.

Considering that there is a user need looking for this functionality and since CCTS is a sister specification under ebXML, can we incorporate Core Components?  Specifically, I'd suggest that the registry specs look at explaining how it supports section 5 and 7 of the ebXML Core Components TS, version 1.9 (11 December 2002).  http://xml.coverpages.org/CCTSv190-2002.pdf

A cursory look indicates that there would be a couple of ways to approach incorporating Core Components.
    a) Insert Core Component explanations at the points they are relevant
    b) Create a Core Components chapter that provides specific information with links to the related points in the other sections.
My gut reaction would be option 2 as being cleaner to write and read.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Regards,

Paul A. Macias
LMI
Research Fellow