Subject: Re: [regrep] One RegistryObject - Many ACPs proposal

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

>I like this idea very much (of course).  I also prefer Beethoven. :)
>
>Regarding the following:
>
><Quote>
>We need precedence rules for how the 4 sets play together. On this last
>point I am thinking some more and discussing with some experts.
></Quote>
>
>Perhaps we can weave in the idea of Preference Indicators for
>associations, as in my last message.  This would allow one to simply
>indicate a hierarchy of preference based on their own criteria (which
>may involve preference of the SO's ACP over the RO's ACP, or vice-versa,
>etc.)

Uday and I spoke at length with Seth Proctor who is the lead for Sun's
XACML open source implementation about how to define precedence rules
defining how the 4 sets (Registry, User, SO, RO) of policies play together.

His suggestion was to simply use XACML and its combiningAlgorithm
capabilities. The upshot of the discussion is that we should have
exactly one XACML PolicySet for a RegistryObject (the way things are
today) and allow that PolicySet to compose by reference, any/all of the
Policy/PolicySet from the 4 sets (Registry, User, SO, RO). This allows
the creator of the ONE super PolicySet to:

1. Define a tree where each node is a Policy or PolicySet belong   to
one of 4 sets (Registry, User, SO, RO)

2. decide precisely what combiningAlgorithms (denyOverrides,
permitOverrides, onlyOneApplicable, firstApplicable, or even a custom
one) to use when combining the policy decisions from sibling nodes at a
given level in the tree.

The result is maximum flexibility.

Given this information we have two choices:

1. Retain our current accessControlPolicy attribute in RegistryObject

2. Allow a RegistryObject to have zero or one ACP associated with it via
an Association. More efficient storage wise.

I would recommend (2) which means we do all the changes I proposed in
this thread but with the constraint that there will be only one node
associated with a RegistryObject. If there are more than one then most
recent one would be used.

Does this sound reasonable closure on this issue?

BTW in case you are wondering how come all these issues popping up
now... As Nikola and I are wrapping up the final details on XML Schema,
Filter Query, SQL schema etc. , we are finding little fit and finish
issues. Rather than batching the issues fo the next meeting we are
trying to get them resolved via email so we can reach closure on the
spec work.