Subject: Re: [regrep] Core Components - Revisited

Thanks Farrukh. I like all of your thoughts below - they provide good
support for the concept of creating an XML serialization for Core
Components.

Joe

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> Chiusano Joseph wrote:
>
> >Thanks Farrukh. Would you be willing to elaborate on one point:
> >
> ><Quote>
> >Experience with many pilots suggests that the best approach is to have
> >an XML format for CCTS content with ebRIM format for CCTS metdata. So I
> >would reccomend both XML serialization format (outside of binding) and
> >binding to ebRIM metadata.
> ></Quote>
> >

> I should have said that above quote applies to pilots where there
> already was an existing XML format. In cases where there was no existing
> format, we have seen both flavors: a) Binding to RIM only and b) XML
> Schema + RIM binding
>
> Experience with several pilots suggest that an XML format is needed
> under the following situations:
>
> -There is a unique and specific Business Information Model which defines
> unique and specific Business Objects (e.g. HL 7 Conformance Profile,
> Patient Medical Record, Purchase Order, RosettaNet PIP, OAG BOD)
>
> -The Business Object is more content than metadata in the role that it plays
>
> -The Business Object is fairly complex
>
> -XML documents representing the Business Object need to be exposed
>
> We have also found that it is generally good practice to keep a good
> separation between content and metadata. ebXML Registry manages both
> well when it comes to LifeCycleMangement. However, ebRIM is all about
> Metadata and not content.
> It should be kept in mind that some aspects of the content may be mapped
> to metadata in the RIM binding.
>
> While it is possible to map all the content into metadata,  it is more
> effective use of ebXML Registry to:
>
> -Define a CCTS Business Information Model (CCTS BIM) in UML
>
> -Define a mapping of  CCTS BIM to XML Schema
>
> -Define a mapping of CCTS BIM to ebRIM. Such a mapping clearly
> identifies the binding of CCTS BIM to ebRIM metadata and should include
>  a  Catalog Definition File (XSLT Style Sheet). Such a mapping also
> defined BIM specific custom queries that address many anticipated query
> use cases.
>
> The benefit of above approach is that a Core Component in XML form is in
> its BIM form and not as a generic ebRIM form. This would allow people to
> grasp it better. Meanwhile when a CC is submitted to the registry it
> automatically gets cataloged with generated ebRIM metadata and is
> immediately discoverable using content based queries.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Farrukh
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano