Subject: Re: [regrep] ebXML Registry "Granularity"

Thanks Farrukh. Over the next few weeks I plan to think about possible
approaches. Then, shortly after we kick off the Core Components
Serialization work I think we can begin tackling this in tandem, as
there will be a certain amount of overlap. I think that tackling both
efforts done concurrently, as one can learn from the other.

Joe

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> Joe +1 on the need to address fine grained sub-document level content.
> It is already on teh list for V4 but I can see the need to at least do a
> TN right away on it. I would be glad to work with you on this.
>
> Chiusano Joseph wrote:
>
> >Team,
> >
> >This week I participated in a series of federal XML meetings in which
> >the OASIS/ebXML Registry standard was mentioned as a candidate for
> >various potential roles within multiple federal government initiatives.
> >
> >That's great news.
> >
> >In most if not all of these references, there is a *very strongly*
> >expressed requirement for granular registration - that is, registration
> >of elements, attributes, and datatypes - as well as XML namespace
> >support. There has been a very big push within the federal government in
> >the past several years for component-based architectures, both from a
> >software module standpoint as well as a data standpoint.
> >
> >I know that if an implementer chose to, they could include such
> >functionality in their ebXML Registry product, given the abstract nature
> >of our information model. But the reality is that people read our
> >specifications and they don't explicitly glean from the specs that the
> >ebXML Registry standard can accomodate granular registration and
> >maintenance - so they close the specs and potentially move on to other
> >possible solutions (solutions which do exist in the federal space and do
> >allow such granular registration and maintenance, as well as namespace
> >support).
> >
> >That's not-so-great news.
> >
> >What I would like to propose is that, in no greater than 3 months, we
> >make a big technical and marketing push to educate the world as to the
> >potential of granular registration and maintenance for an ebXML
> >Registry. I think a great first step would be the creation of a series
> >of Technical Notes that address (1) how to register and maintain
> >elements, attributes and datatypes in an ebXML Registry and (2) how to
> >register and maintain namespaces, and associate elements, attributes,
> >and datatypes with their namespaces.
> >
> >Then, we can combine this capability with CAM, and allow registry users
> >to assemble schemas using registered artifacts such as namespaces,
> >elements, attributes, and datatypes.
> >
> >Is anyone with me on this challenge?
> >
> >Kind Regards,
> >Joe
> >

> --
> Farrukh
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano