Subject: Re: [regrep] Issue with UUID's for Core Components and BIE's

David RR Webber wrote:

> Farrukh,
>
> I know we've had this disagreement before.  I'm not
> arguing with you from the registry engineering PoV -
> I understand why the registry itself needs these UUID
> keys internally.
>
> It's the way they get used externally that frankly does
> not meet the business use case of things like CCTS,
> CPA, BPSS, CAM and more.
>
> Your point about the 16 bytes reminded me of another
> big issue -using these UUIDs you also need to avoid
> embedding the URL for the registry too - making this
> even more ugly (what if you need to relocate your registry
> to a new server?).
>
> Here's an example from Duanes code - I count a lot
> more than 16 bytes here:
>
> "urn:uuid:4a593056-3509-0766-2e7b-4e154030423f"

Going back to my bits-and-bytes OS roots for a second (I used to love
reading binary and hex):

This *is* actually exactly 16 bytes. Each character (minus the dashes)
is a hex value representing 4 bits - from 0 (0000) to f (1111), or - in
base 10 - from 0 to 15. I've reproduced it below, with each pair of
characters representing a single byte. The "|"'s delineate sets of 4
bytes, for a total of 16 bytes:

"4a 59 30 56 | 35 09 07 66 | 2e 7b 4e 15 | 40 30 42 3f"

Don't worry, I won't go down the road of telling you what exact number
this is...;)

Joe