Subject: Re: [regrep] [Proposed Change] Replace Association confirmation withreference access control

Duane Nickull wrote:

> My opinion is that "who" makes the assertion is an essential part of
> the association.  Their views may not necessarily be 100% correct or
> agreed to by all parties since things like context of use can affect
> semantics. I would support that someone can make a unilateral
> assertion and we have a mechanism whereby a reciprocal association can
> be declared or agreed to.

That is what we have right now (association confirmation). The point is
that the confirmation / unconfirmation and tracking confirmation state
is clumsy and very specific to associations. What about other type of
references other than associations (e.g. ClassificationNode references
to other ClassificatuionNodes as parents - meaning who can extend my
scheme etc.)

Also confirming associations is an unsolicited burden on object owners.
It has also been difficult to implement.

The solution I propose will work in all cases consistently and with more
expressivity and is simpler all around.

> One issue may be manageability.  Imagine UBL puts its schema into a
> registry and gets 50,000 people each asserting via associations they
> "use" certain objects.  The owner of UBL in that registry may not want
> the responsibility of having to respond to each and every case.

That is one of the major issues with the current model. In the
alternative model I propose  the way things work is that I decide as
object owner  WHO I allow to reference my object and under what
circusmtances. Beyond that I never have to worry about  who is making
references. The old way requires me to give  my blessing on each
reference on a case by case bases. The new proposed way allows we to
specify the rules under which I allow refences and  from then on I do
not have to bother with  it.