Subject: Registry and Content Management (Was: Re: [regrep] FW: IECM StandardsProposal)

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

>[Comment at end]

I took liberty to change the subject of this thread to more accurately
reflect the discussion.

I will use my favorite metaphor for ebXML Registry: "ebXML Registry is
like a database"

A database's core value is the ability to allow clients to store and
query data. Beyond that there are many many diverse and open ended use
cases for how applications may use a database. Databases are indeed used
for "application integration" "in which core data elements that are
utilized by multiple applications within an enterprise are stored in
the" database.

Similarly, an ebXML Registry's core value IMO is to allow clients to
store and query Metadata and Content. Beyond that there are many many
diverse and open ended use cases for how applications may use an ebXML
Registry. ebXML Registry indeed is used for "application integration"
"in which core data elements that are utilized by multiple applications
within an enterprise are stored in the" registry.

I will make one more assertion. A standard (or anything) should not have
too many *core values*. Core values should be the lowest level substrate
upon which all other values are built.

Just my 2c.