Subject: Re: [regrep] Re: [regrep-comment] Data Grids

+1 an IRODS discussion would be very interesting

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Farrukh Najmi <farrukh@wellfleetsoftware.com> wrote:
Dear Colleagues,

We have received a public comment from Dr. Reagan Moore, Director of the DICE Center at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
I have sent him a brief message acknowledging recipt of the message and that we will be sending him a formal response on the comment list after due consideration.

I would like to propose that we interactively discuss this public comment (see below) at our next telecon and formulate a response.

My initial thoughts are summarized as follows:
  • It would be very desirable to have a RegRep ebRS standard interface on iRODS and to use ebRIM as format for metadata for iRODS metadata. Both the ebRS protocols and ebRIM model are highly extensible so this could be done in an extension profile of RegRep 4.
  • Part of the challenges posed by the public comment fall within the purvue of implementation rather than specification. For example, handling of diverse content and environment may be handled by Repository extension plugins. SInce repository interface is not exposed in RegRep 4 it becomes an implementation rather than specification issue. One may question whether RegRep should have a public Repository interface as part of a future specification version.
  • Policy enforcement is something that current spec partially addresses via XACML policies and with the BPMN based governance policies. I am quite interested in exploring what if anything the standard should consider including to support rule based policy enforcement.
  • It would be good to invite Dr. Moore to attend a TC meeting as an invited expert to discuss the iRODS requirements and any gaps with RegRep specification.

Please share your thoughts on this email thread until we meet to discuss this interactively in a telecon. Thank you.