(Resending with Jerome's name replacing
??. Thanks Reagan for the correction.)
Attendees: Farrukh, Reagan, Carl, Kathryn, Nikola
Todays meeting had a lot of details to capture which I have tried
to do to the best of my ability...
1. Approval of Minutes (notes from January 5th?)
2. Minute taker (volunteer needed - last minute takers: (Farrukh, Farrukh, Farrukh, Oliver, Farrukh, Richard, Farrukh, Kathryn, Oliver, Farrukh, Kathryn, Nikola, Farrukh, Oliver, David, Farrukh, Kathryn, Farrukh, Carl, Farrukh, Nikola)
3. Discussion of comments: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/201205/msg00002.html
- Team: Welcomed Dr. Reagan Moore and every introduced
- Reagan: provided overview of iRODS
- Manages large distributed collections of data (5PB, 200M
files) across organization and geographic boundaries
- Collection may reside in diverse operating systems,
- Enforces organization-specific collection management
- Allows sharing of data between multiple institutions
- Serves as a broker between protocol required by
remote storage and remote client
- Carl: What is our vision for the outcome of collaboration with
- Farrukh: We identify what it takes for RegRep interface to
be a front end to iRODS repository and log issues for any gaps
that need to be filled in the specification. We target these
issues to drive the next version of the specification.
- Reagan: Asked if we have worked with DAITF (Data Access
Interop Task Force), part of EUDAT
infrastructure project. They are working on federating data
across repositories. They are serveying technology to leverage.
They have decided to use iRODS. The NSF DataNet
project is a similar program in US. It is being implented
in NSF Earthcube
Observatory Initiative (OOI), NOAA, ...
- Farrukh: We have not worked with DAITF
- Issue: How to make sure that DAITF and DataNet are aware
of RegRep and to explore adoption of RegRep in those
- Nikola: How do Fedora and DSPACE relate to iRODS? Does iRODS
- Reagan: The opposite. They use iRODS in their implementation
- Reagan: RegRep could be another client interfaces to iRODS
- Nikola: What interfaces are exposed by iRODS
- Reagan: iRODS interfaces consist of: java,c and C++ io class
libraries, shell commands
- Nikola: What rules language for iRODS, It it forward or
- Reagan: Rules in iRODS uses its own rule language, not using
DRULES or other external rule language
- Nikola: Any UIs for rule maintenance?
- Reagan: Microservers allow to manage and manipulate rules,
essentially allows writing a rule to manage rules. A UI was
developed by Jérôme Fuselier <firstname.lastname@example.org>
at the University of Liverpool UK
- Reagan: Comparing design centers, iRODS is strongly driven by
scientific applications, whereas RegRep is driven by buisness
- Farrukh: RegRep started with business process focus but
experience over the years has been broader
- Nikola / Farrukh / Reagan: sketch an outline of what a
RegRep client interface to iRODS looks like
Did not get to this agenda item. Please comment via email on
4. Open Data Interchange Framework project from ISO TC 154 and CEFACT
5. Overview of ebXML one page brochure http://wiki.oasis-open.org/regrep/documents/plan/regrep4/OnePager;
Did not get to this agenda item.
6. Additional items?
- Kathryn: Should we plan on scheduling meetings every two weeks
or once a month?
- Farrukh: Prefer we set up meetings every 2 weeks and cancel
unless we have agenda items and quorum
Farrukh Najmi Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com