relax-ng-comment message

Subject: Re: [relax-ng-comment] Mixing patterns and (empty) tags

Hi Rick

Thanks for your reply.

> If you build in the idea that you may have a RELAX + Schematron
> combination from the beginning, you may find you can
> get the best of both worlds: a pair of nice relatively simple schemas.

Fair comment.  In my case, however, co-occurrence constraints
seem to enter in at a lower level of improtance, hence I've started
(some time ago now!) with the grammar-based approaches.

However, I'd certainly have a good look at Schematron if it helped
to resolve the current impasse.  But from Eddie's suggestion it
appears that it doesn't actually help owing to the absence of
the ability to test against regular expressions.  Is that correct?

The mythical RNG schema

<element name="example">
    <interleave>
        <data type="token">
            <param name="pattern">[a-zA-Z0-9]+</param>
        </data>
    </interleave>
</element>

would validate my original example (now corrected!)

<example>
</example>

but would reject

<example>
</example>

Can Schematron (possibly + RELAX NG) do better in this case?

Cheers

Daniel