relax-ng-comment message

Subject: RE: [relax-ng-comment] annotations: am I straying too far?

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing with a:attr/a:description.
You are not straying too far.

As you probably already know, step #1 (4.1) of simplification is to discard
foreign elements and attributes. As far as a conforming RELAX NG processor
is concerned, foreign elements and attributes just go hasta la bye-bye.

The <a:documentation> element may not have children and that very likely
will not change in the future, but you could use XHTML or DocBook or
SmartDoc or whatever you want. As I recall our discussions on
<a:documentation>, the committee decided not to get into the business of
providing more elaborate documentation markup because there are other, more
familiar vocabularies that are readily available.

I believe that the reason why an annotation must be a child is that when
foreign elements are discarded in step #1, it discards child elements as
well, so that if <define> were a child of an annotation, it would disappear
at validation time as well. However, you can use <rng:div> for wrapping
annotations; in fact, that's its main purpose. For example, this should
work.

 <rng:div a:contains="label">
   <a:attr label="Title">
     <a:description>A text title</a:description>
   </a:attr>
   <rng:define name="title.attr">
     <rng:attribute name="title">
       <rng:data type="token"/>