Subject: Re: TREX TC Minutes 2001-05-03

> I would like to add an observation by JamesC in the minutes.  If we do
> not have hierarchical scoped references, we do not need path expressions
> and our constraints are away simpler than those in XML Schema.

I think it's more the absence of multipart keys that allow path expressions
to be avoided.  You could support scoped references with path expressions
simply by allowing an element pattern to indicate that it started a new
scope for keys of a particular name.  However, with multipart keys I don't
see how you can avoid  the need for path expressions to specify the separate
parts of the key.