Subject: Re: Datatype and identity constraints proposal of the day (17 May)

> > 3. Should the value of a <param> be specified in the content or by with
> > value attribute?
>
> Having a value as an attribute makes it possible for other applications
> to add their elements as a child of <param> like:
>
> <param name="minInclusive" value="08:00:00">
> <xhtml:p>
>   The store will be open 7:00AM in New Year's Eve.
> </xhtml:p>
> </param>

The only thing that bothers me about this is the arguable lack of symmetry
with the <value> element.  If the <value> element specifies the value in
content, then shouldn't <param> do so too?  If <param> needs to use an
attribute so that the content can be used for annotations, then doesn't that
argument apply to <value> also?  But I  much prefer something like
remember). And what about the <name> element?

Also you can have annotations without changing to attributes (although a bit
awkwardly):

<param name="minInclusive">
08:00:00
<xhtml:p>
The store will be open 7:00AM in New Year's Eve.
</xhtml:p>
</param>

or

<data type="xsd:dateTime">
<xhtml:p>
The store will be open 7:00AM in New Year's Eve.
</xhtml:p>
<param name="minInclusive">08:00:00</param>
</data>