Subject: Re: Issue: fragment identifier for href attribute

I feel a bit uneasy about hard-coding a prohibition on fragment
identifiers.  This feels like it is trespassing on the domain on RFC 3023
and its successors. Couldn't we say something like this?

- the meaning of the fragment identifier is determined by the registration
of the media type of the data returned by dereferencing the URI

- a RELAX NG schema must not use a fragment identifier for a URI if the
registration of the media type of the data returned by dereferencing the
URI does not specify the meaning of fragment identifiers for that media type

- as of the time of writing, the registration of {text,application}/xml is
given by RFC 3023, which does not specify the meaning of fragment
identifiers (although it mentions XPointer)

In any case, it would be implementation dependent whether fragment
identifiers are supported, just as it is implementation dependent what URI
schemes are supported.

Basically, I feel that we should treat the URI reference as a black box
whose semantics are specified externally by the appropriate RFCs.