Subject: RE: a:attributeType

This sorts out all my earlier axe swinging. I think RELAX NG implementers
will be happy with the reasoning here. -m

-----Original Message-----
From: James Clark [mailto:jjc@jclark.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 7:35 PM
To: Murata Makoto; relax-ng@lists.oasis-open.org

> I think that the user should not be forced to use the XML Schema datatype
> library, which  is buggy and complicated, only to use ID/IDREF/IDREFS.

I agree.  How about the following?

We have two specs

1. A DTD Compatibility spec that defines
   1.1 Compatibility Annotations (namespace
http://relaxng.org/ns/compatibility/annotations), and
   1.2 Compatibility Datatypes (namespace
http://relaxng.org/ns/compatibility/datatypes)

2. A "Guidelines for using XML Schema Part 2 Datatypes" spec

The compatibility datatypes provides at least "ID", "IDREF" and "IDREFS"
and, if we so choose, others as well.  Conformance wrt to the compatibility
datatypes would involve checking ID-soundness.

Our guidelines spec can then say that a compatibility processor (at least
one that is integrated with a RELAX NG processor that supports XML Schema
Part 2 datatypes) should recognize the XML Schema Part 2 datatypes as
aliases for the corresponding compatibility datatypes. (NOTATION would be
an exception since the XML Schema Part 2 NOTATION is distinct from the XML
1.0 DTD NOTATION.)

Users who just need the compatibility datatypes in their schema can use the
compatibility datatype library. Users who also need other datatypes from
XML Schema Part 2 can just use the XML Schema Part 2 library, without the
inconvenience of mixing datatype libraries.

One reason I suggest this is that it makes it easy to describe crisply what
the compatibility spec is doing: "defining annotations and a datatype
library" rather than "defining annotations and also defining additional
semantics for some of the datatypes from XML Schema Part 2 when used in
conjunction RELAX NG".  I think it also keeps things nicely modular.