Subject: Re: [relax-ng] close schema language

Message text written by Eric van der Vlist

Yes. There is a difference, though between a schema language (especially
when it is used to validate documents) and a development language and I
think that most of the people see a XML schema as a kind of firewall
which will protect them from the unexpected -these "otherwise" facts-.

structural layout of the well-formed content for a business interchange.
<<<

Foreign namespaces (and "open" schemas in general) are then seen as
potentially dangerous since it's like removing a part of the firewall
exposing the applications to more unexpected facts and requiring a
different design.

Among the RSS 1.0 Working Group, for instance, everyone agreed to accept
foreign namespaces elements, but the majority decided to accept them
only when the content model (simple/complex) was not changed showing
that the notion of open/close is relative ;=) ...

DW.