Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Re: DOM Abstract Schemas revisited

Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI scripsit:

> I think this is where I misunderstood you. I thought you were trying to
> map RNG as natural as possible.

No, I wanted to see whether AS (which is going into the DOM, whether
we like it or not) can be used to represent RNG schemas or not.

> The element/attribute mixed content model is still a very big problem.
> You suggest to split it into multiple content models, but sometimes it
> takes exponential time to the size of input. Consider:

I presume you mean "exponential space".
Your example is indeed a compelling one.

> Another problem is the semantics of <interleave>. Firstly, this is not
> SGML-&, so the "all" compositor cannot be used for <interleave>.
> Secondly, the "all" compositor is limited to the top-level, whereas you
> can write <interleave> anywhere. And expanding interleave can again take
> exponential time to the size of input. Even worse, this exponential
> explosion happens to every-day schemas.

I completely agree.  For AS to adapt to RNG, it would need an explicit
representation of "interleave" distinct from "all".

My point is:  It is not yet too late for the RNG TC to influence the
AS process.  If we ask for a few things such as "interleave" and
wildcarded names to be added to AS, we can get a model which can,
with some creaking and groaning, support RNG.   Not every detail
of RNG, but AS doesn't support every detail of DTDs or W3CXS either.

I am not a member of the TC, but I do *strongly urge* that this
matter be taken up ASAP, because of the coupling with the W3C DOM WG.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There