Subject: Re: [relax-ng] RELAX NG 2.0 ideas

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:10:43 +0700
> James Clark <jjc@jclark.com> wrote:
>

>>Here is a list of some ideas I would want to consider for 2.0. Most of these
>>are things that we considered for 1.0 but decided to leave out.
>

> I suppose that RELAX NG 2.0 is a long-term goal.  However, it might make sense
> to introduce some small fixes before RELAX NG becomes an International Standard.

I am also wondering if Relax NG couldn't be improved in its fallback (or
lack of fallback) mechanisms.

The first area where this would be needed is for datatype libraries: it
would be helpfull IMO to be able to define alternative types and
libraries (somewhat like you define alternative fonts in a CSS stylesheet).

If you have for instance a nice customed library for a datatype which is
supported by a very limited number of Relax NG processors, you might
want to use it when possible and to use the closest W3C XML Schema type
when the datatype is not supported by the validator.

Eric
--
See you in San Diego.
                                http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2002/