rights-requirements message

Subject: [rights-requirements] Library Requirements...

See the Dlib Magazine article which appeared yesterday (note that we are in
communication with these folks...):

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july02/martin/07martin.html

D-Lib Magazine
July/August 2002
Volume 8 Number 7/8

ISSN 1082-9873
Federated Digital Rights Management *
A Proposed DRM Solution for Research and Education
   Mairéad Martin
Director, Advanced Internet Technologies
The University of Tennessee

Grace Agnew
Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems

David L. Kuhlman
Analyst, Advanced Internet Technologies
The University of Tennessee

John H. McNair
Senior Systems Analyst, Advanced Internet Technologies
The University of Tennessee

William A. Rhodes
Consultant, Advanced Internet Technologies
The University of Tennessee

Ron Tipton
Senior Systems Analyst, Advanced Internet Technologies
The University of Tennessee

Introduction
This article describes efforts underway within the research networking and
library communities to develop a digital rights management (DRM) solution to
support teaching and research. Our specific focus is to present a reference
architecture for a federated DRM implementation that leverages existing and
emerging middleware infrastructure. The goals of the Federated Digital Rights
Management (FDRM) project are to support local and inter-institutional sharing
of resources in a discretionary, secure and private manner, while endeavoring to
maintain a balance between the rights of the end-user and those of the owner.
"Federated" in our project title refers to the shared administration of access
controls between the origin site and the resource provider: the origin site is
responsible for providing attributes about the user to the resource provider.
FDRM applies and extends the federated access control mechanisms of Shibboleth,
a project of the Internet2 Middleware Initiative to develop "architectures,
policy structures, practical technologies, and an open source implementation to
support inter-institutional sharing of web resources subject to access
controls". [SHIB]

FDRM is being pursued by members of the VidMid Video-on-Demand Working Group
[VIDMID], a collaboration between the Internet2 Middleware Initiative [I2MID]
and the Video Development Initiative [VIDE]. The VidMid agenda is aligned with
the goals of the National Science Foundation Middleware Initiative, a national
effort to develop enabling middleware for applications in science, engineering,
and education [NMI]. While VidMid work is centered on enabling digital video
applications, the application of FDRM is extensible to digital content in any
format.