rights-requirements message

Subject: [rights-requirements] Reqs from AIT/FDRM project

Requirements SC:

In partial fulfillment of an action item I
took today from our meeting:

a) I have written M. Martin (Director, Advanced
Internet Technologies, The University of
Tennessee) to see if there are any
any relevant URLs (or emailable e-docs) that
can give us a better preview of the AIT/FDRM
Project's "requirements for rights expression
languages" that are to be [c/d]rafted at the
NMI and DRM Workshop on September 9th

b) I append below a small collection of URLs
and excerpts that were available to me.
These might help with the construction of the
"placeholder" alluded to by Hari in the meeting --
though I confess I do not understand the meaning
or process function of a "placeholder."  These
URLs cannot be taken as indicative of the group's
requurements document, which it has promised as
a deliverable from the September meeting, which
had been planned before our SC set out its
work agenda.  Since this document from the
AIT/FDRM project promises to represent a
significant (and 'different') body of users and
use cases [? I think], I will urge that we plan
to accept their official document as a submission
for our analysis as soon as we receive it, even if
this group is a little "late" according to our
projected schedule.

If I get any better references, I'll communicate
them to this list.

-- Robin Cover

[1] "Federated Digital Rights Management: A Proposed DRM
Solution for Research and Education." By Mairéad Martin,
Grace Agnew, David L. Kuhlman, John H. McNair,
William A. Rhodes, and Ron Tipton. In D-Lib Magazine,
Volume 8 Number 7/8 (July/August 2002). ISSN: 1082-9873.
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july02/martin/07martin.html

[2] Workshop September 9th
"The NMI and DRM Workshop [is being funded] by the
NSF NMI program to explore DRM requirements in
Research and Education, look at ways NMI development
might be leveraged, create an NMI collaboration of
middleware/content management experts, propose
rights metadata core. [Participants include
CNI, EDUCAUSE, I2, SURA, ViDe... one of goals of
this workshop is to develop and publish a document
specifying DRM requirements for Research and Education.
This document will be cooperatively developed with
consortia in the library, content management and
research networking domains, and will include
requirements for rights expression languages..."
public URL = ??

[3] Federated Digital Rights Management (FDRM) Project
http://www.ait.utk.edu/projects.html

"AIT is developing the FDRM project in collaboration with
Grace Agnew, Associate University Librarian for Digital
Libraries at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.
FDRM evolved from our earlier project called the Secure
E-content Attribute Management (SEAM) project; many of
the components of SEAM appear in the FDRM architecture.

FDRM is designed for use with any authentication and
authorization mechanism, but its current iteration is
centered on Shibboleth, the Internet2 Middleware project.
FDRM can also, therefore, be termed an application of
Shibboleth. The Internet2 MACE group has provided us
with very useful feedback in the development of the FDRM
design.

Currently (July 2002), we are working on a demo of the
FDRM functions, both from a user and engineering perspective.
Ms. Mairéad Martin of AIT gave a presentation at the Campus
Architectural Middleware Planning (CAMP) Conference regarding
FDRM and can be viewed here..."

- http://www.ait.utk.edu/projects/fdrm/FDRM_ADVCAMP_08_01.htm
- http://middleware.internet2.edu/shibboleth/
- http://middleware.internet2.edu/MACE/

[4] MPEG-4 Working Group
Representing: Georgia Institute of Technology,
Australian National University, University of Tennessee,
Auburn University, Indiana University, Georgia
Institute of Technology, and New World Symphony,
http://www.vide.net/workgroups/mpeg4/index.shtml

[5] VidMid Website
http://middleware.internet2.edu/video/

[6] ViDe.net
http://www.vide.net/

[7] University of Tennessee Advanced Internet Technologies (AIT)
http://www.ait.utk.edu/about.html