rights-requirements message

Subject: RE: [rights-requirements] FW: Rights Requirements Submission

Title: RE: [rights-requirements] FW: Rights Requirements Submission

> >> Within that context, rights expression languages should
> >> provide the basis for
> >> expressing rights information and policies, and as such are
> >> useful for a variety
> >> of rights messaging applications including
> >>
> >> * Rights information discovery
> >
> > I don't see any support for this in XrML.
>
> JSE: That's doesn't mean that it shouldn't be there...
>
> > > * Simple policy expression
> > > * Rights negotiation and trading --- offer discovery,
> presentation and
> > > acceptance (AKA making a rights request)
> >
> > Nor for this one. Did I miss something? Do we have usecases
> > and requirments covering these?
>
> JSE: Probably not, but we should and will...

I urge you get some use cases on the record as soon as possible. I for one, did not realize there was a significant open question about the overall scope of the problem. The points you have mentioned here: discovery, negotiation, trading, acceptance suggest to me that there may be additional architectural entities that have not been specified yet. Even if a decision is made to defer some aspects of the problem to a later time, I think it is important to get all the elements of the problem space out on the table.

Hal