rights-requirements message

Subject: [rights-requirements] We need Health Care Requirements

On several occasions, including during today's call, it has been argued that the
intent of the "core" is to be generally applicable to a large set of domains,
including "medical records" --- that the scope of RLTC "it's not just about
copyright." For the core spec to legitimately claim to deliver to this
aspiration, the Requirements must reflect that set of domains, including the
medical record community.

Many of you might not realize that there is a standards group called "HL7," or
Health Level Seven, that has been in existence for some time --- a few ANSI stds
in the books --- and appear to grok this domain pretty well [c.f.
http://www.hl7.org and http://www.hl7.org/about/] It seems to me that if the
work product of our group is going to be used for expressing use rights
specifications for medical records, it will likely be within the HL7 context,
and we'll have to meet their requirements. Perhaps they have some requirements
that, some that are domain-specific extensions and some that may impact the
core.

We won't know unless we get them involved; they should at least be solicited for
their input...