rights-requirements message

Subject: RE: [rights-requirements] HIPAA, HL7 and general questions

Parama,

Thank you for this response.  It may be useful to follow up with
a statement of current understanding, which may or may not lead to
an easy agreement.

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, M. Paramasivam wrote:

[Parama]
> Here's my perspective:
>
> 1. The requirements process is open ended. It is simply not the case
> that new requirement documents cannot be accepted after Aug 28th. It is
> not clear to me how people have ended up with that impression.

Here's what I understand Hari to have said (not that it was a decision
reached by group consensus):

* following the scheduled September 4th TC meeting, the version 1.0
  requirements document is essentially frozen

  - note that the published schedule says "RLTC Requirements SC Draft
    Approved" where I would expect the text to say "RLTC Requirements
    SC Draft Discussed and Voted On"
  - note that this timeframe gives one week for review of a document
    that we have not yet seen (?), in a genre that is not yet
    clarified; no evidence that this review is to be public
  - following the September 4th TC meeting (assuming the approval of
    the V1.0 Requirements SC Draft), any new requirement documents which
    is received will be acknowledged as received, and its contents
    analyzed; if the analysis proves to simply affirm the data points
    in the v1.0 REQ, these will be noted clerically as supportive; if
    the analysis proves to levy requirements *not* already envisioned
    in the 1.0 REQ, Hari says they will be labeled as v1.1 reqs and
    will NOT be relevant to the design work which is scheduled to
    result in an OASIS Standard of May 2003

Hari, can you clarify if any of this is incorrect based on what you
have articulated orally and in writing?

[Parama]
> 2. The requirements process has resulted in a pretty versatile framework
> for accepting new requirements. This framework has demonstrated
> integrity by accommodating several different classes of requirements.
> Incorporating new requirements is much more streamlined and systematic;
> without such a process we would be lost and unable to classify new
> requirements as they come in.

I have expressed appreciation similarly to Hari, privately and I think
publicly, for the meticulous, careful audit trail supported by numbers
and preservation of the "raw" data.  It represents a lot of work, and
could serve as a model for some processes I've seen in the past which,
by comparison, were haphazard and imprecise.

[Parama]
> 3. I completely disagree that the work here is bizarre. I have been on
> other rights languages requirements gathering efforts and this is by far
> the most organized effort, and has established a systematic process to
> assimilate and incorporate new requirements. I am very optimistic that
> this process will lead to a comprehensive survey of the requirements
> landscape.

The respect in which I used the word "bizarre" (I could have used a better
adjective, probably) is not that the effort is purported to be

* disorganized
* unsystematized
* inherently unaccommodating of new requirements

The respect in which I find it puzzling is that:

* the identification of "entities" from whom input would be sought seems
  unrepresentative, for example

 - failing to identify the ODRL effort, which arguably is the ONLY real
   alternative to XrML as a rights language (see Bill Rosenblatt's
   recent review of ODRL and OMA's use in OMA Download)
 - failing to establish a contact with principals in HL7/HIPAA (?) as
   indicated on the official entity list, even though healthcare was
   identified as a major player [the use cases presented in the
   unsolicited XACML paper notwithstanding]
 - failing to obtain meaningful input from the financial services
   industry, despite identification of SEC compliance as a candidate
   application

*[the most puzzling of all, however],  the "SC draft" declared to
be "Approved" on September 4th appears to have no scheduled phase for
public review.

In my experience, the whole idea of requirements engineering is to obtain
input and evaluation from the stakeholders in such a manner that the
designers can confidently create something representing the users' wishes.
Asking for documents would be stage 1; creating a draft Requirements
Document REQ 1.0 would be stage 2; soliciting public review of the
Draft Requirements Document would be stage 3; correction and augmentation
of the Requirements Document based upon public review would be stage 4.

The idea of the SC creating one draft of the REQ document, getting signoff
from plenary one week later, and then declaring REQ v1.0 finished is
IMO very odd, if we believe that the document called the "SC Draft" could serve
as the first meaningful (prose) expression of the TC's proposed requirements
set that is suitable for public review.

By "suitable" I mean socially plausible.  Having ZIP files on the file
server and (still only partially complete XSL files) is hardly an
optimal method for publicizing and getting public feedback.  One could
argue (I did) that the 'SC Draft' is the instrument which would permit
the most important kind of feedback from the public, given that the
notion of "submitting requirements specs" is not in the daily
job description for many who have legitimate interest.   As far as I
know, this is precisely why W3C and other standards efforts would
publish a Requirements document and solicit public feedback:

i.e., publicize the draft REQ document in appropriate channels, create
an email address for public comments, establish a comment period for
the draft, publicize a method for contributing additions/corrections
in the most suitable format for evaluation, etc.

*Skipping* a meaningful public review process for REQ v1.0 as relevant
to the proposed OASIS Standard v1.0 will be interpreted by some as
evidence of an insular, staged affair.

Robin Cover