rights-requirements message

Subject: [rights-requirements] Process clarification requested

This post is tangential to the SBL's document "Response to
Requirements Analysis September 3, 2002" [1] and also to the
"Feedback requested on Requirements" from Renato Iannella [2]
on the dispositioning of ODRL requirements.  This note
frames its concerns in a slightly broader context.

1.  Process question

Hari and Bob: May we please have a joint statement from the
two of you (RLTC REQ SC co-chairs) clarifying the guidelines
(written, unwritten, or both) applicable to the "dispositioning"
of requirements statements as received from external sources?

I have a specific concern about the (non) dispositioning of
declarations in the SBL-2 requirement, and similarly for ODRL-3:

(1) the ODRL Requirements document articulated
    a critical requirement (section 3):

    "that the Rights Language be specified and
    implementable without any encumbrances from patent
    claims. That is, the Rights Language be
    available to all under 'Royalty Free' terms without
    any other conditions."

It was summarized in table 4 thus:

    "The Rights Language must be available under
    royalty free terms."

(2) the SBL document, section 2. 'Expressing Rights':

    Any rights language should be able to express in a simple
    and straightforward way any rights in an intellectual
    property in standard XML syntax, such that any user with
    access to a text editor on any platform can avail themselves
    of the language. Such a rights language should be free of
    any restrictions on its use by any user by virtue of
    licensing, patent or copyright restrictions.

(3) similarly, IEEE/IPC statement

    "Any mandated copy protection system and its
    specifications must be available to those implementing
    the system without the payment of a royalty and must
    not impose unreasonable burdens"

While the IEEE/IPC statement (3) has not yet been "dispositioned,"
it appears to me that the ODRL and SBL statements on RL licensing
(1) and (2) above, were summarily dismissed (i.e., disposed of),
as these statements are not reflected in the analysis [2002-08-27]
by any means, not even a characterization as "no transposition
possible" nor by any other signifier.

URLs:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/rights-requirements/200208/xls00007.xls
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/rights-requirements/200208/bin00015.bin
referenced from:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/rights-requirements/200208/msg00061.html

or
http://xml.coverpages.org/Collected-Analysis0828.xls

I have been operating under the assumption that requirements
statements from external sources, first of all, would be
factually *recorded* in the analysis without respect to private
(pre-)judgment about feasibility and suitability to the
OASIS TC endeavor.  If the review process has established a
guideline of this kind:

  "The reviewer will examine requirements documents for
  suitable requirements statements, recording those judged
  suitable in an analysis spreadsheet, passing over (without
  comment) any statements not judged suitable for SC discussion."

then I would understand the exclusion of (1) and (2) above as
a reflection of the reviewer's judgment.  Absent any such
process guideline (which I would strongly protest as unfitting
to democratic principles), I would expect that the reviewer's
task is to represent each requirement fairly and accurately,
not to silently dismiss certain requirements thought to be
unsuitable.

Summary of above: My assertion is NOT that the requirements
statements in (1) and (2) above should automatically be
accepted as requirements binding upon the SC/TC.  My point is
that it's procedurally improper to reject (ignore, pass over
without comment) these requirements based upon (?) apparently
unpublished principles.

2. Example dispositioning

From the SBL requirement statement #2:

    Any rights language should be able to express in a simple
    and straightforward way any rights in an intellectual
    property in standard XML syntax, such that any user with
    access to a text editor on any platform can avail themselves
    of the language. Such a rights language should be free of
    any restrictions on its use by any user by virtue of
    licensing, patent or copyright restrictions.

A direct parse of SBL-2 should yield something like this:

"RL:

1) should be able to express IP rights in a simple way

2) should be able to express IP in a straightforward way

3) should be expressible in standard XML syntax

4) syntax-level markup expression should be possible using
      a ['plain'] text editor

5) syntax-level markup expression should be possible using
      any computing platform

6) usage should be free of any licensing restrictions

7) usage should be free of any patent restrictions

8) usage should be free of any copyright restrictions"

These are the requirements as parsed directly from the prose
text.

In a second stage of analysis, it might be necessary to
seek clarification as to what is meant by (e.g.,) "simple"
in 1) and by "straightforward" in 2) so as to analyze these
requirements further, and to reword them (if necessary/possible)
as propositions that can be discussed in terms of machine
language engineering and applicable data dictionary semantics.

What actually happened in the treatment of requirement SBL-2?
The *actual* dispositioning of SBL-2 in the August 27th
spreadsheet asserts that the eight (8) requirements statements
above are handled by a single mapping to:

  R07 == SX03, "Language Definition: The language must be
  defined using XML Schema and all defined names must reside
  in a namespace."

Such a dispositioning obviously ignores #6-8, and does not
necessarily meet the needs envisioned in #1-2 and #4-5.  It
only imprecisely matches #3 since neither [W3C] XML Schema nor
Namespaces are canonically part of "standard XML syntax."

Summary of above: I do not recognize the August 27th
"dispositioning" of SBL-2 as a fair and adequate treatment.
I am made to wonder what other requirements statements have
been summarily and silently dismissed on similar principles.

3. Hint from Thomas DeMartini