Subject: RE: DRM and Access Control (was: [rights] Clarification...)

On the surface DRM and Access Control are similar.  However, the domains in which they operate are considerably different.  In Access Control, we are dealing with management of corporate or shared assets by an organisation. It is not done at arms length such as the case of a library or online music service.  The originator of a document is not the owner and does control the access rights associated to it.

In the case of healthcare, the idea that the access controlled by the originator is unmanageable. Who owns lab test results? Is it the patient, doctor, lab, provider, or payer?   Regardless of who owns the data, federal and state laws and regulations must be considered over and above the organisational or an individual's policy.

James

 -----Original Message-----
From: Bob Atkinson [mailto:bobatk@Exchange.Microsoft.com]
Sent: June 12, 2002 4:31 PM
To: John Erickson; rights@lists.oasis-open.org

John,

I think you are spot on.

To be concrete, in the end, policy enforcement in both DRM and Access Control scenarios (and indeed many others) come down to the question "Can A do B to C", the answer to which can be "yes", "no", or "yes, so long these conditions are satisfied." A technical framework cast in these terms seems to serve both situations very well.

      Bob