Subject: RE: [rights] Clarification...

Interesting discussion. Maybe it's good that I'm traveling and a half
day behind on reading my mail, because I think that you've all come to
pretty much the conclusion that you should have.

While the purpose of the Security JC is to provide a forum for
coordination between the member TCs, and while coordination works best
when the parties involved are willing to make some changes or sacrifices
where necessary for the greater good, we should remember that each TC
still has its own charter and soverignty. The JC has no authority to
impose its will on the TC.

In addition, there is nothing in the OASIS process that requires that
each TC do unique work. While I would hope that various TCs would work
together and avoid duplicate work there is no requirement to do so. We
could have two TCs creating exactly duplicate work; the only thing
required to be unique by the OASIS process is the TC's name. From
messages sent on Wednesday afternoon it appears that the XACML and
Rights TCs, while having similar topics, are actually pursuing solutions
to different problems. So I hope that the two TCs can work towards
interoperability, where appropriate, without feeling a need to wrest
control of each others' agenda.

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations