Subject: RE: [rights] Request for Agenda Item on Rights Concall Wed October 2

-----Thomas DeMartini writes---->
> * A one-hour meeting every other week is not an unreasonable time
>   commitment.
> * Since everyone should reasonably be able to commit this time as
>   part of their schedule, there should be no problem for motions
>   made during such meetings for vote at those meetings, and there
>   should be no need to have motions made ahead of time.

Unfortunately, other business, such as business travel, can
interfere with even reasonable commitments.  OASIS rules provide
for this:

(i).  A member shall be warned by mail from the chair of the TC
      upon their first failure to attend two out of every three
      successive meetings of the TC. Membership shall be
      terminated if the member fails to attend the next meeting
      following transmittal of the warning or if the member
      consistently fails to attend two of every three meetings.

(ii). A member shall be warned by mail from the chair of the TC
      upon failure to return 80 percent of all mail ballots
      closing during any 90-day period. Membership shall be
      terminated if the member fails to return 80 percent of all
      mail ballots closing during the 90 days following
      transmittal of the warning.

So I am not persuaded by this argument, and I stick with either
Hal's motion or with a motion to have ALL votes by e-mail.

Other advantages to e-mail votes are:
1) The motion itself must be presented in writing.  This means it
   is more likely to be understood when people are voting.
2) The votes themselves are clear and public.

Anne
Sun Microsystems Laboratories
1 Network Drive,UBUR02-311     Tel: 781/442-0928
Burlington, MA 01803-0902 USA  Fax: 781/442-1692