saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] Artifact Format and EndpointIndex in 2.0

The problem (for me, at least) stems from the phrase "any artifact" in
the opening line of the quote.  Since artifacts of type 0x0001--0x0003
do not have an EndpointIndex, they do not qualify as "any artifact" as
defined in SAML2.  So what is the "status" of these older artifact
formats?  (Surely, a SAML2 implementation can take advantage of them
since indexed endpoints have defaults.)

One approach, I suppose, is to define a type 0x0004 artifact as follows:

TypeCode := 0x0004
RemainingArtifact := EndpointIndex SourceID MessageHandle
EndpointIndex := Byte1Byte2
SourceID := 20-byte_sequence
MessageHandle := 20-byte_sequence

Then the original definition of SAML_artifact in SAML 1.1 is preserved.