Subject: RE: uri/fileIndex consistency

(Our amendment also says to add similar language around the logical locations array and the rules array, but if we get this one right the others will be easy.)

From: sarif@lists.oasis-open.org <sarif@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Larry Golding (Myriad Consulting Inc)
Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:26 PM
To: OASIS SARIF TC Discussion List <sarif@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [sarif] uri/fileIndex consistency

This morning we approved the change draft for #298 with the amendment that we add a constraint: the file identified by fileLocation.uri/uriBaseId must be the same as the file identified by fileLocation.fileIndex (which points into the run.files array).

This is surprisingly hard to express elegantly. Here’s what I have, but I’m open to rephrasing it if anyone is in the mood to put on their editor’s hat for a moment:

If both uri and fileIndex are present, they SHALL both denote the same file. That is, let URI1 be the fully resolved URI of the file specified by a fileLocation object as determined by the uriBaseId resolution procedure described in §3.4.4. Let URI2 be the fully resolved URI of the file specified by the file object (§3.21) indicated by fileIndex, determined in the same way. Then URI1 and URI2 SHALL be equivalent in the sense described in §3.10.1.

(§3.10.1 says that two URIs are “equivalent” if their normalized forms, as described in RFC 3986, are the same.)