Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Re: [Issue 82] NEW ISSUE: Relax <component/> schema toallow <implementation/> anywhere

WRT inflexibility, we have strong requirements to support creation of composites with a simple text editor. Since a text editor can't provide schema assistance, the human has to remember the order of the elements. That's where the inflexibility comes in. I know that not everyone in the TC shares this requirement.

I like the idea at the end of your email.

What if we moved the extension point into it's own element, forcing extensions to be child elements of this new element? And what if we forced the extension element to be a singleton and at the end of the list? Does this help?

If we end up hard coding the sequence of elements, I'd like to see implementation last in the list; serv, ref, prop and then implementation....but this might cause a UPA problem?

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Anish Karmarkar ---09/23/2008 07:02:04 PM---The UPA problem occurs because we have (a) elements and eAnish Karmarkar ---09/23/2008 07:02:04 PM---The UPA problem occurs because we have (a) elements and extensibility points occurring in any order

Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>

David Booz/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS

sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org

09/23/2008 07:02 PM

Re: [sca-assembly] Re: [Issue 82] NEW ISSUE: Relax <component/> schema to allow <implementation/> anywhere

The UPA problem occurs because we have (a) elements and extensibility
points occurring in any order (b) with the elements and extension points
cardinality > 1 and (c) we use substitution groups (hopefully someone
more knowledgeable about UPA will chime in and confirm or refute this).

I'm curious wrt what the flexibility buys us.
OR what is so inconvenient in saying: implementation comes first,
followed by all the services (if any), followed by all the references
(if any), followed by all the properties (if any), followed by extension
points (if any). The order of service/reference/property isn't important
as long as we pick *one* that we like.

Instead of:
<component ...>
  <service ...>
  <property ...>
  <service ...>
  <reference ...>
  <implementation ...>
  <property ...>
</component>

I think it is cleaner to have:
<component ...>
  <implementation ...>
  <service ...>
  <service ...>
  <reference ...>
  <property ...>
  <property ...>
</component>

Also, <implementation> has maxOccurs of "1" whereas <service>,
<reference> and <property> are unbounded. To allow any order of those
elements and still specify that implementation has maxOccurs of '1'
would be doable in schema but it would look ugly. Something like:

<sequence>
  <choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">
    <element name="service" type="sca:ComponentService"/>
    <element name="reference" type="sca:ComponentReference"/>
    <element name="property" type="sca:PropertyValue" />
  </choice>
  <element ref="sca:implementation" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1"/>
  <choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">
    <element name="service" type="sca:ComponentService"/>
    <element name="reference" type="sca:ComponentReference"/>
    <element name="property" type="sca:PropertyValue" />
  </choice>
  <any namespace="##other" processContents="lax" minOccurs="0"
              maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</sequence>