Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] [ISSUE 33] Updated Proposal for Issue 33

Anish,

Thanks for your review - new version of the proposal attached with comments inline below:

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
To: Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB
Cc: OASIS Assembly <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 25/11/2008 07:12

Thanks for sending the updated version.

Three nits:

1) There is a lowercase 'must' in "... namely that the binding must be
able to treat the transmission ...".
s/must/MUST/

<mje> I did not want to place a normative requirement on the bindings here (I have no
idea how to verify such a requirement from the Assembly perspective) so I changed
"must" to "needs to". </mje>

2) For the same sentence, I prefer to talk about connections rather than
treatment of transmissions. I would also like to change the requirement
from 'must be able to' to 'it MUST'. I.e., it is not the capability that
we are requiring, which may or may not be used at runtime, but that it
must be so at runtime.
So the new suggested sentence would be:

"The requirements on a binding to support the asyncInvocation intent are
the same as those required to support services with bidirectional
interfaces - namely that the binding MUST [some-tag] send the response
message in a separate connection from the one used by the request
message, with an arbitrarily large time interval between the two
transmissions.

<mje> I'm not convinced that changing to "connection" helps that much.  I was
particularly thinking of the scheme that is used to deal with asynchrony over HTTP,
with a client polling the server.  That may or may not involve a new connection,
but it certainly involves a separate transmission.  </mje>

3) In the "Implementation Type support", I would like to replace the
"asynchronous client-side and asynchronous server-side mappings" with
"non-blocking client-side and non-blocking server-side mappings/APIs".
Talk of async/sync at the API-level when there is async/sync going on at
the transport-level leads to too much confusion. Especially, when
blocking APIs can be used with async transport and non-blocking APIs can
be used with sync transport.

<mje> Hmm.  Tough one,  The words we use usually are  ;-)

Client side I followed the terminology of JAX-WS, which describes the methods as
"Asynchronous" (see section 2.3.4 of the JAX-WS 2.0 spec), since the Java impl
follows this spec for these methods.  I'd prefer not to use different terminology which
people would then have to translate for themselves.

As for server side, if you take a look at the Java implementation document for this
proposal, it describes both a blocking and a non blocking approach to the implementation
of a "long lived" service method - so I don't think that "non-blocking" is appropriate there.

Personally, I'm quite happy with using the same terms at the API level and in the transport
layer.

</mje>