Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Fwd: Conversational services

David Booz wrote:
> As we have them today == "magic" != the kind of shared context approach
> I'd rather see. And that unfortunately we don't have enough time left to
> standardize so I'd rather have nothing in the spec and have a go at a
> proper model during the next version of SCA. I was not differentiating
> between specs, I was speaking in general because I see the problem as
> larger and more abstract than a specific tweak here or there in a
> technical proposal. We don't have to standardize everything we want in
> the first go, but what we do standardize had better be bedrock/core and
> solid. It's easier to add to a standard than to have to change it. It's
> better to standardize in small bits. The fact that standards take time
> is good thing, not a bad thing.
>
> The compliance point is that an SCA runtime MAY support the
> conversational intent, the endsConversation marker,
> conversationViolation fault, and whatever other tweaks we make to the
> current "magic" in the model. I don't see what testability has to do
> with it. We aren't going to test everything that's a MUST let alone the
> MAYs.

OK, for "testable" please read "well specified".

If different vendor implmentations "support" these assembly-level
artifacts, but attach completely different semantics to them, I
don't that's very useful.  I think of an optional compliance point
as something that's well-specified and implementable, but doesn't
need to be supported by every implementation.  Therefore, I would
expect that different implementations that claim support for some
optional compliance point would use the same meaning and semantics
for it.  If not, I don't see any value of having this feature be
part of the SCA specs.  It should just be a vendor extension.

   Simon