Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] NEW ISSUE: Interface compatibility refers to input/outputtypes which is ambiguous when using WSDL 1.1

See comments inline.

   Simon

Mike Edwards wrote:

> Logged as Issue 166: _http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-116_
>
> Yours,  Mike.
>
> Strategist - Emerging Technologies, SCA & SDO.
> Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
> IBM Hursley Park, Mail Point 146, Winchester, SO21 2JN, Great Britain.
> Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
> Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com
>

> From: 	Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
> To: 	OASIS Assembly <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>
> Date: 	26/02/2009 07:46
> Subject: 	[sca-assembly] NEW ISSUE: Interface compatibility refers to
> input/output types which is ambiguous when using WSDL 1.1

> Title:  Interface compatibility refers to input/output types which is
> ambiguous when using WSDL 1.1

> In ASM60017 it states:
> "compatibility between the source interface and the target interface for
> a wire for the individual operations is defined as compatibility of the
> signature, that is operation name, input types, and output types MUST be
> the same."
>
> There are two problems with this:
> 1) We allow different interface languages to be used in SCA, so it is
> not clear how the operation name and type comparison would be made to
> determine if they are the "same".
> 2) When using WSDL 1.1 interface, there are two "types" allowed: XML
> Schema element decl or XML Schema type. How is "sameness" determined in
> a case where the reference uses XML Schema element decl and the service
> uses a XML Schema type.
>
> Proposal:
>
> Outline --
> 1) Use the WSDL 1.1 interface as the canonical interface language and
> require that "sameness" be determined after the interfaces are mapped to
> WSDL 1.1.

I don't think this is the right solution.  We don't require (and shouldn't
require) that all SCA interfaces must be mappable to WSDL.  The requirement
should be that the SCA interface types of the source and target interface
define mappings that can be applied to the target interface to produce
a representation of the target interface in the source interface language.

> 2) Two interfaces A and B, where A uses XML Schema element decl and B
> uses XML Schema type are considered incompatible.

I'm OK with this.

> Text change --
> replace ASM60017 with:
> "compatibility between the source interface and the target interface for
> a wire for the individual operations is defined as compatibility of the
> signature, that is operation name, input types, and output types MUST be
> the same, ***after the interfaces are mapped to WSDL 1.1 portTypes***."

Alternative proposal:
1. Do not make the above change to ASM60017.
2. Remove the following later paragraph that talks about interface types
    being equivalent:
     "A Wire can connect between different interface languages (eg. Java
     interfaces and WSDL portTypes) in either direction, as long as the
     operations defined by the two interface types are equivalent. They
     are equivalent if the operation(s), parameter(s), return value(s)
     and faults/exceptions map to each other."
3. Add a new normative paragraph number 6 after ASM60019 as follows:
     "6. If the source and target interfaces have different SCA interface
     types representing different interface languages (e.g., Java interfaces
     and WSDL portTypes), the target interface MUST be mappable into the
     source interface language using mapping rules defined by the
     SCA interface type of the target interface and/or the SCA interface
     type of the source interface. [ASM600xx]  In addition, the criteria
     specified in numbered points 1 through 5 above MUST be satisfied
     when applied to the source interface and the mapped target interface.
     [ASM600xx]"

> add addition text as follows:
> WSDL 1.1 message parts can point to XML Schema element declaration or
> XML Schema types. When determining compatibility between two WSDL
> operations, a message part that points to an XML Schema element
> declaration is considered to be incompatible with a message part that
> points to an XML Schema type.

Should this go in section 7.5 (WSDL interface type)?

   Simon