Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Issue 101: Complete the Conformance Section -Comments on Proposal

Mike Edwards wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Some comments on the proposal:
>

> 1)  I think that making a series of SCA-related documents into
> conformance points, as per section 12.1,  is unnecessary and unwise.
>
> The only point of making these documents into conformance points is if
> it is intended to write testcase(s) that will validate those
> documents.  I do not believe that we have the resources to write such
> testcases and as a result, the conformance demands made
> here are a waste of time and effort.

I would like to understand what additional tests will have to be written.
There are already requirements on SCA runtime regarding rejecting what I
would call non-conformant SCA documents. To test that we would have to
create non-conformant documents, use it with a runtime and ensure that
the runtime rejects them. What additional test artifact would have to be
created wrt document conformance? I.e., we have a set of documents that
we assert are non-conformant. We of course would have a set of
conformant documents (for the positive test for a runtime).

I can see us not wanting to create non-conformant (or conformant) SCA
documents for every little feature and element/attribute that schema
allows. But we are now talking about how detailed our test suite is
going to be. Given that there is a requirement for runtimes to reject
invalid SCA documents, this is already an issue. I don't think we need
to Turing complete.