Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] [ASSEMBLY-138] Assembly specification unclear onContribution vs Deployment - when can errors in artifacts be reported?

Jim,

I'd like to offer a clarification on the states you define below.

A Contribution can be in the Installed state.
- so can any of the artifacts it contains.

Any artifact that is in the Installed state is fair game for Deployment.

I don't believe that a Contribution can be in the Deployed state.
- Artifacts can be in the Deployed state.  But just because Artifact Y from Contribution C is deployed
does not mean that Artifact Z from the same Contribution C is deployed as well.

- I think that deployment occurs as the result of specific deployment actions on one or more artifacts.
Deployment of one artifact can of course cause the deployment of other artifacts, since the original
artifact may well have a tree of dependencies that must be satisfied in order for the deployment to
be successful.  Deploying the original artifact implies deploying its tree of dependencies. But deploying
one artifact does not imply deploying all the artifacts contained in the same contribution as that artifact.