Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] [Issue 80] Proposed directional resolution

On behalf of all TIBCO's participants to the entire collection of SCA
TCs, we wish to express the following concerns with regards to
integrating the proposal for eventing.
Our concerns come in three parts:

   • we see technical issues with the proposal from OSOA
   • whether or not the TC(s) address these technical issues, it will
still take a while to incorporate the proposed changes,as an
inevitable consequence of discussion and coordination with other TCs
   • even if we didn't have issues, procedurally, introducing this
much change this late doesn't work
On the technical side, we have quite a number of concerns with the
proposal as it stands. These concerns range from small details to
overall large architectural concerns. As one of many examples, based
on our understanding, a Java developerwho wants to use eventing will
need to understand a substantially different model to use this
functionality, and probablyneed to code differently, when in a
significant number of cases that may not be useful or necessary.

Even if we did not have quite a few detailed technical concerns, we're
hard-pressed to see how this proposal can be adopted without
dramatically delaying the process of completing the SCA specifications.

In the Assembly TC, we see numerous points of delay. Merely fitting
the existing eventing proposal into the Assembly specification,
unifying the terminology, fixing up links, and addressing mismatched
context problems will take a while, with numerous editorial drafts.
Then the TC will need to engage the question of normative statements,
and the testing required to support eventing. It is possible that the
companies proposing eventing think this can go quickly, and have done
work to enable that, but we do not. Further, to be fair to our
eventual customers, another PR process would be appropriate. Then
there's the matter of coordinating with the other TCs.

For example, the bindings TC will need to consider the implications of
eventing. That TC likely faces a key initial decision - either engage
the eventing notion, and try to fit it into the existing
specifications, or simply choose not to support it. In the case of
engaging with eventing, we suspect it is likely that new issues will
be uncovered that can only be addressed by the Assembly TC. Either
those issues get addressed in the Assembly TC - further delaying the
Assembly specification, or they do not, in which case the binding TC
will be left to muddle through a decision on its own. Going back to
the original decision point, if the bindings TC decides to forgo any
discussion of eventing, it calls into question the very notion of
having eventing in the assembly specification, without any bindings
that profess to implement it.

It is perhaps worth reminding everyone that the Bindings TC, of all
the TCs, is currently the most delayed of all. Adding work to this TC
is perhaps ill-advised.

The implementation TCs will likely engage with the eventing
specification as well. All of Java, BPEL, and C++ will have the same
initial decision as the Bindings TC. Consequently, they will all add
an additional burden of coordination, or contribute to the same lack
of validation for the concepts of eventing.

To our final point, this is the wrong point in the process to
introduce changes of this scope. Most of the SCA specificationshave
already gone out for public review. Adding the amount of functionality
implied by the eventing proposal seems to us to amount to a "just
kidding" message for those people who have already bothered to review
the existing specifications.Procedurally, we also observe a very odd
procedural situation. Since the "eventing" issue is already open, only
takes a majority to "resolve" the issue with specific text. However,
should a majority of the TC then come around to realizing a flaw in
the proposal, by the standing rules of all the TCs, raising and
opening those issues will require a two-thirds votes of the committee.
It is, in other words, easy to make a mistake, and very difficult to
fix it. That's the very opposite of where we should be while nearing
the end of a public review.

For a variety of obvious reasons TIBCO likes the notion of publish and
subscribe functionality, and does have an interest in seeing that some
sort of functionality like that which has been proposed eventually
fits well with SCA. We're thankful for the effort that others have put
into coming up with a proposal. Unfortunately, as much as we like the
notion, for the reasons we expressed above - the technical issues, the
coordination and resulting delay, and the procedural flaws, we cannot
support adding such functionality at this time. We think the
specification, and (all!) our customers would be better served by
finishing up with the current scope of specifications we do have,
rather than adding the inevitable delay that will stem from the
eventing notion. Given the time pressures, we're also deeply concerned
about the potential for compromises which make the specifications
weaker overall. That would be a sad way to wrap up the fantastic
efforts by so many people, from so many companies, for so long.

Sincerely, TIBCO's SCA-related TC members.