Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Pointer to SCA event processing presentation

Jim Marino wrote:
> Hi Anish,
>
> I have a very naive question about the eventing proposal: is there a
> capability that cannot be implemented using JMS? My impression is the
> JMS API has everything that is needed to be the foundation of an
> eventing system.

JMS doesn't provide what is needed for an assembly model. JMS, as you
know, is a *Java* *API*. It doesn't say how to do things in, say, BPEL.
It doesn't say how to create a composite application that contains
components that want to subscribe or publish events of certain types. It
doesn't allow multiple components that contain publish/subscribe/topic
functionality to be connected/wired/configured and deployed/managed as a
  single entity.

If I were to stretch the comparison a bit: even though we have JAX-WS,
which can be used to implement and invoke services, we still need SCA ;-)

What the contribution addresses is an assembly-level model for pub-sub.
It provides the additional concepts/constructs needed to declare
subscribers (or consumers), publishers (or producers), topics (channels)
that can coexist with existing service-reference-wiring model and takes
advantage of the intent/policy framework.

Hope that makes sense.