Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Pointer to SCA event processing presentation

On Sep 1, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Anish Karmarkar wrote:

> Jim Marino wrote:
>> Hi Anish,
>> I have a very naive question about the eventing proposal: is there
>> a capability that cannot be implemented using JMS? My impression is
>> the JMS API has everything that is needed to be the foundation of
>> an eventing system.
>
> JMS doesn't provide what is needed for an assembly model. JMS, as
> you know, is a *Java* *API*. It doesn't say how to do things in,
> say, BPEL. It doesn't say how to create a composite application that
> contains components that want to subscribe or publish events of
> certain types. It doesn't allow multiple components that contain
> publish/subscribe/topic functionality to be connected/wired/
> configured and deployed/managed as a  single entity.

I should have been clearer. My question wasn't about using the JMS API
directly. Rather, it was about using it (and a JMS provider) to build
eventing functionality as a binding.

> If I were to stretch the comparison a bit: even though we have JAX-
> WS, which can be used to implement and invoke services, we still
> need SCA ;-)

That was my point :-)

> What the contribution addresses is an assembly-level model for pub-
> sub. It provides the additional concepts/constructs needed to
> declare subscribers (or consumers), publishers (or producers),
> topics (channels) that can coexist with existing service-reference-
> wiring model and takes advantage of the intent/policy framework.

So far it seems to me that this can be handled by services,
references, and bindings. I may be wrong in the end, but it seems
worthwhile to start from that premise given the additional complexity
the eventing proposal introduces.

Jim