Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] REOPEN ISSUES 132 and 149: Update to Sanjay's Proposal

On Apr 27, 2010, at 11:22 AM, Patil, Sanjay wrote:

> I also agree that these should be metaspecs and our own C&I
> specifications (and the associated test suites) should be their
> first instances.
+1 (assuming we undertake this work)

> Does this mean we will have to reformat the existing C&I specs?

I would hope not, but i guess it would depend upon the final form of
the new metaspec. BTW: i would hope that having to reformat the
existing C&I specs would not be used as an argument for doing
something quick and dirty in formulating the metaspec simply because
it would delay 1.1 too much if we did.

> Does this mean we are signing up for a lot of new work?

yes. I don't see it could possibly be otherwise - not if we want to do
a proper job.

> I guess these are some good questions. The good news is that we have
> some drafts for the metaspecs to look at and do some practical
> evaluation of the work involved, its value, etc. I don’t think
> simply postponing the resolution  to 1.2 on the grounds of too-much-
> work-not-enough-time is a good idea.  IMHO, we should reopen the
> issue (against 1.1) and get some real data in front of the TC before
> deciding the final fate of this issue. Otherwise we may end up
> wasting a lot of time on several meta-discussions!

I do agree that if we don't vote yes/no for re-opening against 1.1 at
the next meeting we will be wasting (even) more time on meta-
discussions.

I don't follow your conclusion that why discussing this in the 1.2
timeframe would end up wasting a lot of time.

cheers,
   jeff

--
Jeff Mischkinsky			          		jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com
Sr. Director, Oracle Fusion Middleware 				+1(650)506-1975